Saturday, December 20, 2014
We lost my stepdad unexpectedly right before last Christmas, and I took a lot of time to help my mom navigate her new landscape of loss. My beloved chocolate Lab/Rottweiler mix, Lila Jane, became gravely ill, and I took care of her until she passed at the end of March. I've been trying my best to make our new house a loving and joyful home each day I get to wake up, and the rest was pretty much laundry. For real, we have enough laundry for a family of 13.
I found myself feeling really guilty for ignoring my blogs and YT channel, like I was letting some huge legion of fans down...I do have a few followers, to whom I am always grateful for their support...but really I knew I was allowing myself to let go of those little things that I really found joy in, outside of my children and family. But I readily pushed those things aside so I could take care of my loved ones. And I will never feel guilty about that.
I want to keep writing, but writing for real can be a painful journey. Life will always get in the way but I love writing about it, nonetheless. So I hope you will still check in and see what I've been up to. I can't promise new and exciting beauty or life threads every day, or even every week, but I don't plan on giving this up.
Thank you! Enjoy the holidays with your loved ones! See you in the New Year!
Saturday, October 25, 2014
I tried to keep up with my vlog, but really, hair just doesn't grow that fast, so I updated again in May...
AAANnnnndddd, here we are in October with a new update, this time with just a bit more progress on length!!!!
Hope you enjoy looking back on the steps I've gone (*suffered*) through to get to this point!!!
I will be doing another update in about a month!!!
Friday, August 15, 2014
I cordially invite you to stay with me as I return to a regularly scheduled blog/video update!!!
Monday, July 14, 2014
I found this recipe on Pinterest, which can shade me out once in a while, but I followed directions exactly, except for adding a bit more parm. I might remove the 1/4 tsp of salt next time...
Soooooooo delish! And my family could eat together with just the addition of an extra pot of my new-fave GF noodles!
Not sure why my text has gone mini, but if you need a great GF Alfredo dinner, I hope you'll try these goodies!!!
Sunday, June 22, 2014
Every generation has had an eyebrow icon, and styles cycle through in a flash. Companies are devoting mega PR to their eyebrow defining tools...think Sigma's new brow duos, Anastasia is super brow-centric, MAC has an entire new collection called The Waterproof Brow...brows are always an important accessory!
So, you know I love watching YT videos, and so many girls follow such detailed brow rituals, it is unreal! I would love to be able to spend that much time and effort on my brow-image every morning, but that's just not my life. I need to look like a well-groomed beauty professional in a very short period of time. ( I do have a bit more time now that the kiddos are on summer break--no more 6am lunch packing!)
Here is my easy brow tutorial. It is what I do every day I'm in public. Ha! I vary products from time to time, but these are my tried and true methods. Hope these tips help you look browtastic!!!
Cheers to preventing sweat from dripping into our eyes!!
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Monday, March 3, 2014
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Thursday, February 27, 2014
- Limit hot showers. Though pruning myself under a steamy spray is the only thing I want to do at any point during the day or night, all that hot water sucks the natural oils right out of skin and hair. Trust me and skip a day or two as often as you can manage.
- Lube up, not smell up. When skin is dry, thirsty, chapped or chafed, the last thing you want to do is rub that sweet-winter-pumpkin-spice lotion into it! I have been devoted to my organic coconut oil...it is so hydrating and there is no stinging or stinking. Also in my current stable is Josie Maran's Whipped Argan Oil ultra-hydrating body butter. So moisturizing and has a really light scent.
- Same goes for hands. I still wash my hands a lot, but I try to use lukewarm water and moisturize after each cleansing. I've put away my smell-good hand cream in favor of my old standby L'Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream, made with 20% shea butter, and a barely-there scent.
- Love your locks! When I do wash my hair, I try to use super-gentle, moisture rich cleansers and conditioners. My newest favorite is actually a nourishing cleansing oil made for curly hair...if you know me you know that is not my hair! It has a light lather, soft scent and crazy moisture which doesn't seem to weigh down my fine-ish hair. (Ouidad Curl Recovery, more info at www.ouidad.com)
- Face foes. Unless you cover your entire face with protective gear every time you step outside, you will have effects from this frigid weather, be it dryness, chapped lips, windburn...baby, it's brutal! I follow the same rules for my face as I do for the rest of my skin...wash it gently, hydrate it thoroughly and often, and avoid harsh chemicals and scents when it is particularly sensitive like it is during the winter. My favorite cleansers are Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser and B. Kamins Vegetable Cleanser. I've been following those up with a serum/sunscreen like Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum and either Korres Quercetin & Oak day cream or Ren Hydra-Calm Global Protect Day Cream. Ahh, relief!
xo from the tundra,
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I am well into the first month of my Pinterest-worthy hair project now. Last week I focused on shampooing less, conditioning more and avoiding hot tools as much as possible. I shampooed two days, rinsed and conditioned once, and slept with coconut oil slathered scalp to ends one night. That next morning I technically had to shampoo twice to get all the oil out so I guess I actually shampooed thrice!! Haha!
Yesterday my girlfriend Erin asked if I wanted to use the horse pee shampoo she's been looking into trying. I have already put her off twice on this. I don't do pee. Period. She would more than likely let fairy elves pee on her hair if it would make her hair grow faster! Anyway, I think I'm going to try it (the horse shampoo, not fairy elves) since it is supposed to make hair super-strong and shiny. I guess it's worth a try! Oh, and last night I slept with about 7 pumps of Goldwell Elixer combed through my hair...it is super shiny today!
Sunday, January 12, 2014
Thursday, January 9, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
It's my first HD video, so the quality is amazeballs, but I am still under my technical-difficulties learning curve with all the editing/PC stuff...so ignore the lameness where it occurs! Haha!
Thanks for watching!
Thursday, January 2, 2014
Before I got all bundled up for snow fun with the kiddos, I slathered Coconut Oil all through my dry hair and wrapped it up under my North Face ski cap. Then I spent the next two hours hiking and playing in the 7+inches of snow all around our house!! We even hiked up the trail through our woods, which made me smile from ear to ear!!!
When we came in from the frigidity, I took a lusciously hot shower, washed my oiled hair once with Paul Mitchell Baby Don't Cry Shampoo, then once with TIGI Bed Head Urban anti-dotes level 2 shampoo, and conditioned with the same TIGI conditioner. I wrapped my hair in a towel turban for about 10 minutes, then let the locks air dry.
I love the way Coconut Oil leaves my hair super-silky when it dries! Full disclosure for the condition of my hair (brief version): I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis, a fairly rare autoimmune disease in early March 2013, and I'm currently taking the drugs methotrexate and prednisone, which can cause hair loss and dryness, as well as other nasty side effects. I'm sure you have noticed my weight fluctuation over the last nine months, and it hasn't been for a baby, haha!
My goal is to have long, gorgeous, luscious locks by Christmas 2014, but this will not be a normal hair-growth year for me. I have a lot of short regrowth (thank goodness it is coming back!) and my hair overall is extremely thin and fragile. I have switched from lightened haircolor to a darker, more gentle demi-permanent color. I have always had silky, abundant, fast-growing hair, and it has been a "jagged little pill" to quote Alanis Morissette, to have to start dealing with weird hair side-effects in addition to a very uncomfortable and upsetting disease. Ugh.
So on this journey, I will be taking you and my medicines, my friend Erin who is also trying to get long hair, and random Pinterest-inspired hair-growth treatments...along with my 12 years of experience as a professional hairstylist, we'll see where we get by December 2014, eh?
Cheers to snow days, Pinterest and Cosmetology licensure!
Just tooling around with my new computer!!! I've been using my iPad for everything since the Spring of 2012, so I'm trying to get my sea legs back in the PC world!! Here is an example of a webcam photo....note the wan no-makeup face and not-yet-Pinterest-worthy hair!! Oh, and the girls in the background are my friends Viola, Fiona and Miss Kim!!! Good ol' cosmetology school!!
Ok, gotta go get the kiddos....early dismissal due to cray-cray snow!!!
Cheers to sledding! And faster typing via actual keyboard!!