10,000 HOURS




I love reading. My favorite genre, besides sparkly vampire love stories (wink), is nonfiction. Probably my favorite book is Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell.  I have read it a few times, and have a far greater appreciation for many topics, including how community values can create longevity, how airlines learn from failures to create safer pilots, and most notably how birth month and athletic prowess correlate. If you’ve never read this book, grab a copy now.


Back to athletic prowess. The main idea comes from the Canadian hockey system. Basically, children born in the earliest part of the year get a leg up on hours of practice for an entire year before the kids born at the end of the year. These extra hours, along with financial opportunity create a system that allows certain children to gain competency and then expertise in whatever they are leaning. Same goes for musical skills. Not only does natural talent create an edge, but hours of practice, and in particular, the extra hours of practice before others the same “age” get started, truly increase the opportunity for excellence.

When I went to my BMS Convention this November, I was just beginning my journey with NBR, and extensions in general. What struck me the most is how far behind I felt compared with the attendees who had already been in salons that offered the service. But instead of feeling bad about these (super young) stylists having more extension hours than me, I motivated myself with the knowledge that I already knew the secret…I just needed to put in the hours. Specifically, per Gladwell, the 10,000 hours to reach complete competency and success. There really are no short cuts or quickies. You’ve got to put in the work to get the results. And that’s what I’m doing.

I am doing the work, and we can both benefit from it. If you have ever wondered what it would be like to have an extra few hours a week to work on whatever excellence you are pursuing, let me know. With NBR extensions, you can save frustrating hours styling your hair. These extensions style and hold like your natural hair could never imagine. You will be amazed at the success you can create with a few more hours a week.

Comments

Popular Posts