Water Your Own Grass

 

Photo by Honor Photography
 

As a business owner, and specifically a luxury hair extensions salon owner, it is very easy to get caught up in the comparison game. And based on my experience over the past three years, someone is always trying to WIN. But I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't have to be that way.

I'm sure there must be stylists and salon owners out there who haven't worried about catching the eye of the inner circle of the extension method they use. But I'm definitely not one of them. I've fallen deeply into the belief that if I'm not recognized by the tight knit group at the top, that somehow I am less than. Less qualified, less successful, less worthy. And not a single part of that is true or even intentional on their part, but based on my life's work as a people pleaser? It's as true as the day is long.

I've recognized over the last three months that my constant seeking of outside validation has severely limited my growth potential as a personal brand. I'm not sure if that make sense to you, but I had a very enlightening conversation with a new guest yesterday, and I can't get it out of my head. While I was installing the foundation for her extensions, she asked me about what I was doing, essentially saying that she had no idea how these even worked, she was just excited to have them.

I must have given her an incredulous look, knowing we had a very thorough consultation before booking her visit, and I couldn't believe I'd miss something like that. She said she knew I explained about it and the videos I recommended, etc. 

Then she told me she didn't schedule her appointment based on the type of extensions I did, she booked because of ME. Because of the way I showed up in the things she had seen in my marketing. She wanted ME to do her hair extensions. The end.

I've spent so much time and energy focused on creating the perfect caption, grid, length of video, explaining why my hair extensions method of choice was the best...literally watering everyone else's grass...instead of focusing on what's important to me. It's time to water my own grass.

I'm talking to you! The girl who also feels awkward making phone calls to schedule appointments. The girl who finally has enough flex in her schedule and budget to do something nice just for herself. The girl who won't be offended if I pepper our convo with a bit of a sailor's mouth. The girl who wants to be relaxed and pampered in a luxurious setting, but isn't sure if she's supposed to take care of her own cup; who might sit in my chair worried if now is a good time to say her parking meter has expired, or who's had too many cups of tea and really needs to pee, but might be too shy to speak up.

I'm talking to the girl who loves to read dystopian fiction and personal growth and development. The girl who loves music and listens to podcasts. The girl who wants to feel amazing in her own skin, after caring too long what other's thought of her. Who really wants to garden and raise chickens, but is okay with just buying organic at the store.

I'm talking to the girl who has worked hard to get where she's going, who is ready to enjoy the benefits of that journey. I'm talking to you, the girl who has had enough of just good enough.

Thank you for reading this. If you're a stylist and this resonated with you, please let me know. If you're a girl who's tired of shitty hair, please click the link to get your complimentary virtual consultation. 

xx,

Lindsay

Comments

Popular Posts