When I Get To Be A Client

 

 

Even I get a turn! Collab with my friend Angi.


 I know I talk about self-care a lot...and I'll be honest. I don't do it for myself as much as I'd like to. The cool thing is, as I've been sharing these posts about my clients finally saying "yes!" to themselves for the last couple of years, I have learned that it's time for me to do the same!

I go through the same struggles you do. I know I need to do certain things for my health and wellness, but beyond the daily supplements and decent amount of water, everything else is hit or miss. Not because I don't want to do nice things for myself, but because there is ALWAYS something that hits a little higher on the priority list.

So, I've finally started taking my own advice, and scheduled some self-care. Yes, I scheduled a massage appointment, but I've also done a couple of other things that may seem a bit different. First, I've blocked out my work schedule for Tuesday mornings so I can get a serious chunk of marketing and behind-the-business work done. It's always a little different--sometimes it's salon bills and a blog post (guess when I'm writing this very post?!), sometimes I'm prepping numbers for my accountant and filming some video content for my youtube channel and social media. But it always makes me feel less anxious about all the things I'm responsible with running a business.

The next thing I've started doing is looking at my month as a whole, instead of just days. Where do I think I could get a few bigger things done, like trekking to the beauty supply stores? What else can I fit into that segment of time to make it more efficient, but also more ENJOYABLE? Instead of hating every moment, and trying to rush back to get some computer work done, I've created a day that feels like fun, and it also creates a sense of relief and accomplishment. Also, I know I could order things and have them delivered, but sometimes that is actually harder to manage, and way less fun.

The other Friday, I started at the farthest store (I have to go to two), purchased my goods, and then popped in next door for a walk in mani. It didn't take long, and wasn't the highest quality experience, but I felt good about carving out those 20 minutes. After I finished at the last store, I went to Barnes & Noble to grab a coffee and find a couple of new books. I looked at puzzles, and perused the aisles choosing just the right titles. It was delectable. Then I dropped everything off at the salon, and headed home. I felt relaxed and proud of taking time along the way, allowing myself to enjoy the process.

I've finally started getting massages, too! Remember when I said I'm looking at my month from a bird's eye view? Well, there were a couple of days that I didn't jam pack, and I knew I could be flexible with my time. So I hopped online and booked a massage with a girl I had met at the Bridal Expo. We were both vendors, and I felt like she was the place for me to start my back and neck restoration. I've since had a second massage with her, and I'm currently looking forward to another one later this summer. Ahh.

And let's not forget about THE HAIR.  Probably the best thing I've done is finding a friend in the hair extension business. We've know of each other for years, but have never really been around each other until about a year ago. She reached out to me because she was getting certified in NBR, and we started connecting over our passion for luxury hair extensions. I could travel just about two hours to another salon for my hair and be a full client, but I have to admit I'm not a great client. I'm kind of picky and bossy. Angi and I troubleshoot our businesses and guest issues while we do each other's hair, and even though it's kind of like work, it's more like a girls' day. So I actually get to hang out with a friend and get my hair done. It's perfect for this season of my life.

The thing I had to realize is I am waiting for someone else to give me permission. I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Not a single person in my life thinks I don't deserve to do nice things for myself. They WANT me to feel good and be relaxed--they know it makes me more present and frankly, way more fun. Let's face it, everyone knows when mom is not in a good space emotionally or physically. We want to lift up everyone around us, and pour into them infinitely. And they want to do that for us, but they will not be able to make us schedule an appointment, or deliver us from our unnecessary mom guilt. That's gotta be us, babe. 

I know we hear it all the time, self-care isn't selfish. But you have to choose things that create comfort and joy, and relaxation and harmony for you in your own life. That will look very different for all of us. But do yourself a favor and grant that permission you've been waiting for. You deserve to be on your list of priorities. 

(Want amazing hair and some TLC in my chair? Click this link to fill out your complimentary consultation form today!)

Comments

Popular Posts