Salon Lighting for Marketing Photos

 

Getting good photos of your work takes work!

Good morning, Beauty!

I started taking photos of my work long before the crazy changes that today's social media have created. Back then it didn't really matter quite so much--it was considered strange that people even posted photos! It just wasn't part of the traditional salon/stylist marketing equation. If you've been in the salon for a few years, you know the radical shifts that our industry has faced over that last decade!

So why does it matter so much now? The bottom line is that digital marketing and social media truly matter in our industry, so sporadically throwing a picture up on your facebook or insta will not do anything for your business. The stakes keep getting higher, and the standards keep going up. Consumers expect a certain level of perfection, and the brands that hit the mark are the ones that deliver the goods in a relatable and authentic, aesthetically pleasing way. And that means your photos have to represent not just what you do at the salon, but also the underlying message of who you are as a human and the value you can add to your potential consumer's life. Simple, right?

But the rules are changing every day. How are you, the average stylist, supposed to keep up? The biggest lesson I've learned over the last four years as an NBR® Extensions Artist is how to use my camera, check my lighting, and MAKE ADJUSTMENTS AS NEEDED. That is probably the one thing people skip out on, mostly due to lack of time and education. That, mixed with frustration and overwhelm, constant comparison and imposter syndrome...how do we even get out of bed in the morning??

 

*WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO*

 

Also important to note: just because I've been practicing, and learning for years does not mean that I think I know everything! That's really the crux of this article--I know I'm still on the hunt for better results. Not just with the hair that I create for my guests, and the experience I offer in-salon, but my overall satisfaction with the content that I set free into the digital world. I have learned to appreciate my growth over the years, and try to give myself grace when I scroll down through my feed (even recent pictures can make me cringe!)

The main advice I have for you if you're on this journey:

  • invest in a professional camera, learn to properly use manual settings
  • search your space for natural, indirect light. This will shift depending on the time of day, the season, and current weather conditions
  • give yourself time to take lots of practice photos, and time to study them objectively
  • be honest about what you see. Download them from your camera, and look at shadows, light, bright spots, tone, etc. What needs adjusting? Not sure how to make the needed changes? Ask someone for help; google and youtube will be your besties!
  • post your work, even if it doesn't feel perfect. This is so hard, but it is vital to post your work consistently! If you hold out for perfection, you'll never get started!  

My final thoughts? Keep taking photos, keep focused on building consistency and honing those basic skills, and give yourself the grace to be a human! This shit is HARD! And it is hard on our minds and souls when we feel like we're just never good enough. Be kind to yourself, be authentic in your purpose, and when in doubt, post what feels right. I think our social media presence should be an invitation to the world, but you get to decide who you open your space for. Your work will speak to the right people in time. Don't give up!

Questions? Let me know! I've been doing this work for a long time, and my favorite part is getting to learn, share, and grow with others! 

Want to learn more about what I do? Tap here!

 

Comments

Popular Posts